Hillcrest Students Learn about Organ Donation

Ms. Trench’s Sophomore Drivers Education students after a discussion of organ donation.

On Tuesday, November 15, Ms. Trench brought in Dan Lietz from the Secretary of State’s Office to speak to all her classes regarding organ donation. Mr. Lietz presented the program “Life Goes On” to all our young drivers. According to lifegoeson.com, “The Secretary of State’s Organ/Tissue Donor program has made it a priority to educate the public about organ/tissue donation. While our state continues to be the leader in registering potential donors, there are still 5,000 people on the waiting list, and 300 people die each year because of organ shortages.”

Mr. Lietz  even brought in a real double organ recipient to speak to the students and answer questions. “It was an excellent presentation and the kids had a lot of great questions. These are grown up decisions the kids will be making soon and I know most of them went home last night and had some really good conversations with their parents,” reflected Ms. Trench

Some very personal stories were shared, and overall, it was an incredible and thought-provoking day. Students were able to reflect on how their choices impact themselves, their families, and their community.

For more information, please contact teacher Ms. Trench at [email protected].