Something Borrowed: A Review

Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin

Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin

Bessie Barlow, Guest Writer

This book, set in New York, New York, is a story about a good girl Rachel and her best friend named Darcy. On the night of her thirtieth birthday at her party with one too many drinks, Rachel finds herself with a man, and not just any man her best friend’s fiancé Dex. After the one night, Rachel wants to put it all behind her and continue to be Darcy’s best friend, though she is surprised to find out that not only does she have feelings for Dex, but she may have had them all along.

I enjoyed this book. It was a fast read and one that I will think about for a while. I thought the book was well written: the writing was very easy follow. At some points in the earlier chapters, Rachel would be talking to the Jury about why she should be with Dex. Rachel, who is the main character, starts to feel as if she wasted her entire twenties getting her law degree and working.

There are flashbacks in the book with how Rachel and Darcy became friends and when Rachel meet Dex. Rachel And Darcy have been best friends for twenty-five years, both living in Indiana. When the two go off to college Rachel and Darcy go off to different schools. When Rachel is in Law school she meets Dex in her class as a first year. The two quickly become study partners and good friends. At the end of first semester, Dex asks Rachel out and she agrees only to bring Darcy with her. The two hit it off and have been together since.

The plot was executed very well in the story. At some parts, it dragged a little. There wasn’t a lot of character development, and I feel like both girls were wrong in the story, and I didn’t know who to root for.

This entire book is about Girl Code No-no’s: Best friends don’t sleep with the other’s fiancé, keep secrets from each other, and don’t try to outdo one another.

Overall it was a good book, I would recommend it to some but not all. There is a second book from Darcy’s  point of view, and there is a movie out that has major differences from the book. So, if this interests you, read the book first and don’t just go straight to the movie.

I feel the book was better because of a character issue and a changed ending that happens in the movie.