The Hawk Eye

• "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful" ~Eric Thomas (submitted by Justin Edgecombe)

• “If you take the time to do something correct the first time, you don’t have to spend the extra time redoing it.” (Submitted by Dr. Young)

• “The future belongs to those who are prepared.... Education is the passport to the future.” ~Malcolm X (Submitted by Mr. Hennessy)

A musical better than Hamilton?

Chernin Entertainment / TSG Entertainment / Twentieth Century Fox

Kevin Bautista, Staff Writer

The musical Hamilton set the bar for future musicals; henceforth, the latest buzz in the movie industry is a movie praised for its songs and story that plenty of people compare it to Hamilton in terms of quality. There is a good reason for this too, as the songwriters for this musical were writers for La La Land providing some interest for the musical.

That musical is The Greatest Showman.

This movie is phenomenal, as it is a unique experience to behold while watching in the theatre. The music jumps out to you along with the visuals, as everything pops out to the viewer through the intrinsic soundtrack. There is little that has not been said about it. It features an all-star cast featuring Zac Efron, Hugh Jackman, and Zendaya, all who have major roles within the movie and sing throughout the movie. The soundtrack coincides with the story, which is based on the life of P.T. Barnum, or more specifically, his journey to be a successful showman. First making a circus that grows in popularity that makes him prosperous along with his family, which leads to him to trying to fulfill himself and prove to critics that he is worth of a showman. His insecurities hold him back, leaving him in a situation where he cares little of the people he gathered and of his family. The soundtrack reflects on every character’s emotions and progresses the story through moments that in a standard movie, would be slow and boring. The music covers over large gaps of time within the plot, making it convenient for the viewer, providing a quick and upbeat flow through the movie. The only main drawback for this movie is that the movie can be predictable, but that can be forgiving depending on the kind of movie you like. There are plenty of moments where it can be predictable, but still entertaining. What could hold many people back is that if they don’t like the soundtrack, which can break the immersion of the movie for a viewer. If the viewer does enjoy the music presented, then it is an incredible experiences.

While I do not agree that The Greatest Showman is anywhere on the level of Hamilton, I still highly recommend everyone to give it a chance., especially people who enjoy movie like La La Land, Pitch Perfect, and any other musical that has come over the past few years.

It is a great movie overall and is highly recommended to take a watch if it ever goes digital.