HILLCREST FOOTBALL MAKES PLAYOFFS

Hillcrest players Jordan Moore and Marcus Garret look forward to the playoffs.

Phillip Robinson, Guest Writer

Hillcrest beat Tinley Park High School 44-10 which put the Hawks in contention for this year’s playoffs, but that win didn’t seem to be enough for the Varsity Hawks who beat Evergreen Park 53-0, a clean shutout, to clinch a spot in this year’s playoffs.

This is a feeling Hillcrest hasn’t felt since the 2009-2010 season with Coach Sutton running the helm. Shortly after shaking hands with Evergreen Park, Hillcrest players chased their Head Coach Marquis Cole into the end zone and celebrated as they clinched a spot in the playoffs. If you ask some of the players this game was one of the most fun games they had ever.

As Coach Cole said before the game, “If we play our game and stay disciplined, we will win and we will surely have fun,” and that was clearly shown in this game.

Some players became emotional, filled with joy, as they took part in and witnessed Hillcrest history. Since the past summer camp, the goal has been set and known to MAKE THE PLAYOFFS!!! After being one game away from contention last year, Hillcrest Football had their mind set to make playoffs this year, but even though they met their goal, there is still more work to do.

Coaches didn’t have to do much this year due to the seniors stepping up and making a big difference. Yet one of the main keys the coaches have implemented into the players is to stay disciplined on and off the field and remember you are always a student first.

Hillcrest still has a task at hand as they take on Glenbard South at Hillcrest High School on October 28, 2016 at 7:00 P.M.

GO HAWKS!!!