Hillcrest Leaders Develop Skills at SSC Conference

Hillcrest Student Council & NHS students Dorcas Adekale, Bessie Barlow, Angel Jackson, Kelsey Otis, Tia Pollard, Dylan Jernigan, Demari Hudson, and Olivia Douglas pose with faculty sponsors Jane Molek, Kristen Cardinal, & Lindsay Lopez at the SSC Leadership Conference.

Hillcrest Student Council and National Honor Society students attended the SSC Leadership Conference hosted at T.F. North High School on Wednesday, February 15, 2017.  Each school was requested to dress in their favorite “spirit day attire.”  Hillcrest choose “twin day.”

Eddie Slowinkowski, guest speaker, motivated students to be “The Best Version Of You.” Through stories, role-play, and active participation, students were engaged and encouraged to do their best and be their best at each of their schools.  Students participated in team building and leadership activities throughout the day, made new friends, and shared ideas.

Bessie Barlow (‘18) wrote of the conference, “The speaker was a very energetic person. He started the conference by us dancing and throughout the day we had to dance. I learned that in order for people to believe in you, you first have to believe in yourself.”

Olivia Douglas (‘17) reflected, “We learned to not be afraid to express yourself and to learn from your mistakes. The most important thing that I learned from the conference is that how you live your life will greatly affect the way you lead. This means that your everyday decisions impact the way you help to guide others. This conference has helped me to think about who I am as a person and a leader, and to make sure that how I lead reflects the best things about my life.”

Students left the conference encouraged and enthusiastic to bring to Hillcrest the excitement they felt.  

For more information concerning Hillcrest’s Student Council or National Honor Society please visit their respective websites: http://bhsd228.schoolwires.net/Page/2735 or http://bhsd228.schoolwires.net/Domain/396.