Hillcrest IMC Hosts Valentine’s Day Event

Over 25 students participated in the Hillcrest High School IMC ‘Blind Date with a Book’ Valentine’s Day event. The IMC staff hoped ‘Blind Date with a Book’ would introduce students to a variety of books that they might not have considered otherwise. Books were covered in paper but had a cover teaser label which gave interesting clues about the book (e.g. “everyone says that I’m …”, “I love…”, “My hobbies….” and “You’ll find that I’m full of…”). Students seemed to love all of the stations, especially the book stations, and many of the books were checked out!

Because they hosted this “dating event” on Valentine’s Day, they included themed refreshments and arts and crafts stations (decorate a Valentine cookie, make a Valentine, Make a fruit roll-up fortune cookie, etc.). Students were to move to a different station every five minutes so that they experienced all seven within the hour event.

Delicious refreshments were served by Culinary Club members and prepared by Mrs. Jean Sweeney’s and Ms. Christina Botica’s culinary classes. The Culinary Classes made the sugar cookies for decorating as well as the rest of the themed goodies.

This fun event was planned by Kara Williams, Hope Smith, Sylvia Maxwell and Lisa Walsh of the Hillcrest IMC.

Future activities at the Hillcrest IMC include our school’s A Long Walk to Water ‘4 in 4’ district book club which is not only open to any HC student but will also involve students from two of Chris Hennessy’s classes (Freshmen AP Geography classes) and the Science Club. Further, a speaker from the Illinois Emergency Management Agency will be here this Friday after school to discuss emergency preparation information and tips regarding serious issues like not having drinkable water. Book Club and Science Club members are invited to this event along with those students involved with the Fire Cadet program.

For more information about the Hillcrest IMC’s activities past or future, please contact Media Specialists Kara Williams [email protected] or Lisa Walsh [email protected].