The Hawk Eye

• "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful" ~Eric Thomas (submitted by Justin Edgecombe)

• “If you take the time to do something correct the first time, you don’t have to spend the extra time redoing it.” (Submitted by Dr. Young)

• “The future belongs to those who are prepared.... Education is the passport to the future.” ~Malcolm X (Submitted by Mr. Hennessy)

On My Block: The New Netflix Series

Netflix
Netflix

Netflix

Netflix

Kaitlyn Cooper, Staff Writer

Okay, so Netflix dropped a new series which follows what seems to be their new favorite demographic, which is following the lives of teenagers. The lives of these 5 friends goes far beyond just what high school can throw at them. The 1 season 10 episode series is full of surprises, laughs, unsolved crimes, and tragedies. The show, if you would like a feel of what you’re going to get, is like “Boyz N The Hood” meets “Dope” meets “Romeo and Juliet.”  If you haven’t watched the series yet and plan to, prepare to brace yourself because I can guarantee you, you’re emotions are not ready for this show.

On My Block is a new Netflix series that released on March 16th, 2018. The show follows a group of 5 friends, which includes, Monse (Sierra Capri), Olivia (Ronni Hawk), Ceaser (Diego Tinoco), Ruby (Jason Genao), and Jamal (Brett Gray) who are navigating their way through their freshman year in high school. The group of friends confront the challenges of being a teenager in a predominantly Hispanic and Black community that is run by gangs, in Los Angeles, California.

The show was a hit when it was first released with everyone talking about the surprising season ending on many different platforms of social media. The show is a coming-of-age series that many minorities can relate to. The show is realistic to a young audience, especially for Blacks and Hispanics with the show being placed in what would be considered the ‘hood, and growing up around violence.  I like this show because, once again, it is the reality of young minorities in America today. We have a show that we can relate to.

Overall, the series mad me laugh and cry because it was just that good. It was approved for a second season, and I am excited to see what Netflix will be bringing to the table next year.