The student news site of Hillcrest High School

The Hawk Eye

The Hawk Eye

The Hawk Eye

My Life in Science
Features
My Life in Science
Amira Roberts, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024
My NBA Finals Predictions
Opinion
My NBA Finals Predictions
James Goines, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024
Hillcrest High School Students and Their Art Pieces in the Art Museum
A & E
La'Mia Betts & Ceriya Fox, Senior Staff Writer • April 26, 2024
The Notebook
A & E
The Notebook
Munirat Alaka, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024
POV: Taking an Art Class at Hillcrest ft. Mrs. Adebesin Mason
Video
La'Mia Betts & Ceriya Fox, Senior Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

A Stellar Experience for Our School Community

Image by markito from Pixabay

The buzz surrounding the solar eclipse happening during the 7th period on April 8, 2024, may have faded but its impact lingers on in the hearts and minds of our school community. As the moon casts its shadow upon the sun, painting the sky with shades of wonder, students and faculty members alike gathered to witness this once in a lifetime opportunity. With anticipation building, our school was transformed into a hub of excitement during the evening of the eclipse. Equipped with solar viewing glasses provided by the school and eager students. We congregated in our designated viewing areas, ready to witness a moment that a lot of us have never experienced. 

As the eclipse unfolded, a sense of awe washed over all the students and faculty members. The gradual dance of the moon across the face of the sun captivated our attention, while the world around us took on a subtle shadow. It was a moment of unity and wonder within the students as we stood together watching the solar eclipse slowly happen. Marveling at the beauty of the solar eclipse that you don’t get to see often at all. Then, as totality neared, a quiet whisper fell over the students and faculty. Daylight gave way to an eerie twilight, and the temperature dropped causing a slight wind as the moon covered ninety five percent of the sun. We all watched in curiosity as we waited for the moon to fully pass the sun and brighten back up. As the eclipse waned and daylight returned, our school community was left with a sense of gratitude for being able to be a part of such a remarkable event. Though the eclipse may have passed, its memory lives on as some of us see it as a reminder of the beauty and wonder that surrounds us in the cosmos. While other people walked away with headaches from not using the glasses. 

As we reflect on the April 8th, 2024 solar eclipse, let us carry with us the spirit of curiosity and awe it inspired. For in those fleeting moments of totality, we were reminded of the bound;ess mysteries that awaits us in the universe, igniting a passion for exploration and discovery within us all. The eclipse was more than just a visual spectacle, it was an educational experience that sparked curiosity and inspired learning. Teachers even seized the opportunity to engage students in discussions about astronomy, the science behind the eclipses, and the importance of protecting our planet.