The student news site of Hillcrest High School

The Hawk Eye

The Hawk Eye

The Hawk Eye

Music
A & E
Music
Kayla Morgan, Staff Writer • May 7, 2024
Image by Biljana Jovanovic from Pixabay
Opinion
My Thoughts On Social Media
James Goines, Staff Writer • May 7, 2024
A Senior’s Advice To Underclassmen
Showcase
A Senior’s Advice To Underclassmen
Natalia Perez, Staff Writer • May 6, 2024
Princess Peach Showtime! [My Take]
A & E
Princess Peach Showtime! [My Take]
Shaquan Berrien, Staff Writer • May 3, 2024
I couldnt survive Hillcrest without...
Features
I couldn't survive Hillcrest without...
Jakemah Calhoun, Senior Staff Writer • April 30, 2024

My NBA Finals Predictions

It is the first week of the NBA playoffs and we have seen a lot of exciting players and games so far, with some teams being down hoping to flip the script and others in a comfortable spot hoping to close out and make it to the second round of the playoffs. The two teams that stand out to me the most are the Denver Nuggets in the west as they are currently winning 3-0 against the Los Angeles Lakers, and the Boston Celtics who finished with the best regular season record in the entire NBA. 

First, the Denver Nuggets also the reigning champions, they have some of the best teamwork and offense in the league, the 2x MVP winner Nikola Jokic who is regarded as one of the best centers in the league, and one of the best point guards in our league Jamal Murray who has been averaging 21 points per game and 6 assists a game. Even though the Oklahoma City Thunder finished with the best record in the west I still think the Nuggets are a better and more developed team based on the fact that the Thunder are one of the youngest teams in the NBA. With the key components I mentioned earlier I believe the Nuggets will be the team to go to the finals.

The team I expect to win the eastern conference and play against the Nuggets in the NBA championship is the Boston Celtics. I say this because the Celtics have proven themselves to be arguably one of the best teams in the NBA with their very talented team of stars like Jayson Tatum who is currently 5th in the 2024 MVP race and a 5x all star, Jaylen Brown a 3x all star, 7 foot Kristaps Porzingis, and 2 of the best defensive players in Jrue Holiday and Derrick White. The Celtics this season have been incredible finishing with a record of 64W-18L they set a franchise record against the Warriors earlier in the season by beating them by 52 points (140 – 88), this Celtics team has shown they can play defense finishing with a defensive rating of 111.6, while also having the best offense in the league finishing with an offensive rating of 123.2. While the Celtics have failed in previous years to bring home the championship trophy this year is a new story, new team, and a new beginning.

Lastly, my predictions… I think the Celtics will be the team to bring the trophy home. Even though I spoke highly of both teams I feel like when it comes to it the Celtics have to much fire power in their lineup and Jayson Tatum wants to prove all his doubters wrong. The Nuggets might have the best Center in the NBA in Nikola Jokic but that is one man against one of the best starting 5’s in NBA history.