The student news site of Hillcrest High School

The Hawk Eye

The Hawk Eye

The Hawk Eye

Music
A & E
Music
Kayla Morgan, Staff Writer • May 7, 2024
Image by Biljana Jovanovic from Pixabay
Opinion
My Thoughts On Social Media
James Goines, Staff Writer • May 7, 2024
A Senior’s Advice To Underclassmen
Showcase
A Senior’s Advice To Underclassmen
Natalia Perez, Staff Writer • May 6, 2024
Princess Peach Showtime! [My Take]
A & E
Princess Peach Showtime! [My Take]
Shaquan Berrien, Staff Writer • May 3, 2024
I couldnt survive Hillcrest without...
Features
I couldn't survive Hillcrest without...
Jakemah Calhoun, Senior Staff Writer • April 30, 2024

Key Club: April Food Day

In the last upcoming days as seniors, we had our last and final field trip with key club. We went to the Tinley Park convention center and helped sort out food for the less fortunate.

We started our day off by heading to the convention center, when we got there we got a shirts for the campaign that held the event, and then we went in for breakfast, normally for breakfast they bring special made food, but this year there were a lot of people and we came a little late so they only had donuts, after we ate breakfast we helped clean up and sort through food.

This event is one of the largest fundraisers and food banks on the south side of Chicago that helps give out food. This year there were many more people than last year, and I’m glad a lot of people were there because there had to be over 1,000 boxes we had to sort through. And this experience with helping sort through foods really showed me how nice and supportive this community can be.

Lots of people donated hand sanitizer, sanitation wipes, chips and the chips were good chips, it was hot Cheetos , takis, Lays, it was lots of good chips. They had lots of good cereals and breakfast bars from nature valley and other good foods, the snacks were also pretty good as well as the canned foods.  They also donated and provided personal goods for mothers and babies like diapers, wipes, deodorant, women’s personal things, socks, some clothing items and kids toys.

After we sorted through the foods we had to organize them into the boxes but most importantly we had to check the dates to make sure we weren’t giving  them expired foods, once we sorted through them we separated foods by communities they were going to go to we had to stack the boxes up and label the boxes to whom they were going to. After sorting through foods for 1-2 hours, the event had a special surprise for us: there was a raffle that was selling tickets. Station  92.3 was there giving out tickets for the upcoming concerts that would be held, some kids at Hillcrest won some tickets and one girl even got tickets to the Nicki Manaj concert all for free.

After sorting through foods we got to eat lunch and for lunch we had AFushion which is an Asian restaurant, pizza, Nothing Bundt Cakes and lots of drinks.

After eating we all left , and took some group pictures and went to a park and played which was really nice as all of us hadn’t been to a park/ playground in years.