The student news site of Hillcrest High School

The Hawk Eye

The Hawk Eye

The Hawk Eye

Music
A & E
Music
Kayla Morgan, Staff Writer • May 7, 2024
Image by Biljana Jovanovic from Pixabay
Opinion
My Thoughts On Social Media
James Goines, Staff Writer • May 7, 2024
A Senior’s Advice To Underclassmen
Showcase
A Senior’s Advice To Underclassmen
Natalia Perez, Staff Writer • May 6, 2024
Princess Peach Showtime! [My Take]
A & E
Princess Peach Showtime! [My Take]
Shaquan Berrien, Staff Writer • May 3, 2024
I couldnt survive Hillcrest without...
Features
I couldn't survive Hillcrest without...
Jakemah Calhoun, Senior Staff Writer • April 30, 2024

My Thoughts On Social Media

Image by Biljana Jovanovic from Pixabay

In today’s world I believe we all to a certain extent depend on social media, from children who just got their first phone or device to adults whose careers might depend on their social media presence. We use apps like Instagram, Twitter (X), Snapchat and more to keep us entertained and connected to our family and friends. It may be hard to pick whether you believe it is a good thing or a bad thing for today’s society so today I will be explaining both sides.

On one side apps like Instagram and Facebook help us keep up with our peers, you could be checking in on a loved one or watching a video an old friend posted. These apps keep us involved in one another’s life and keep the world connected. You could be across the world and still keep in touch with your family or friends. For influencers or entrepreneurs social media can be a place where you reach out to your supporters, connect with them and receive feedback. As time goes by newspapers get read less and less, which is where social media comes in once again, keeping you updated on the latest news about your favorite artists or politicians, social media is a way to stay connected and involved in other people’s lives.

After all the things I mentioned it may seem like social media is a fun and safe environment for people to connect and be happy, but in some cases it could be the complete opposite. Social media is a very addictive part of some people’s lives in some it has little effect, while others become so caught up in the media world that it becomes their whole lives. As apps like tik tok grow bigger and bigger you get more children growing up and following trends that they see everyday, saying phrases they heard from their favorite influencer, dressing like their favorite rapper or even changing their physical look to look identical to someone they admire. Another negative is that social media tends to make people think they are better than others based off of their amount of followers or likes it creates a social hierarchy where one person might think they are on a higher level than someone who has less followers. Lastly, it creates a false sense of security where someone might think they are unreachable because they are behind a screen when in reality there are websites and apps that can trace your exact location and make a victim of a cyber attack.

In conclusion, while there are more pros and cons than mentioned, I will end by saying it is a great invention and also a entertaining and helpful platform, but it is important that you limit yourself and try to stay safe while having fun in the social media world.