Covid-19: How This Year’s Pandemic has Impacted Student Productivity and Performance

Photo by: energepic.com via Photos for Class licensed under CC

Desireé Dade, Staff Writer

In today’s writing, I will be completing a series of mini-interviews, or an experiment you could say, where I ask multiple students a series of questions (or a singular question) regarding Covid-19, and how it has affected their school life and productivity. All students interviewed will be students of Bremen High School District 228, which I am enrolled in myself. This experiment is simply to gain insight, rather than draw a conclusion or prove a point. To gain a better insight, I will also be asking questions about school in general, and how they feel their productivity or circumstances could improve. All participants were asked to answer as honestly as possible. 

My first interviewee is a senior at Tinley Park High School, Kendrick Dow. Here is what he had to say: 

Desireé: “How do you feel COVID, and this pandemic as a whole has affected your performance and productivity as a student?” 

Kendrick: “My motivation has definitely decreased, and online school isn’t as strict as it is in person, so I feel that my work ethic isn’t as great.”

Desireé: “Knowing this, do you feel this is at the fault of teachers and administrators or does it feel more self inflicted? Both or neither are viable answers.” 

Kendrick: “I’d say a mix of both. I don’t think teachers are doing enough to accommodate for this drastic change in situations; especially as seniors when we’ve been acclimated to the same learning style our whole lives up until this point.” 

Desireé: “Very understandable. Thank you so much for your contribution and time!” 

I feel like the floor beneath me has been snatched away, and I’ve been falling since March 2019.

— Mariah Bates

The next interviewee is one of Hillcrest’s own, Mariah Bates- Senior. Here’s what she had to say: 

Mariah: “I feel like the floor beneath me has been snatched away, and I’ve been falling since March 2019 when this whole thing started. I can’t complain too much because thankfully I haven’t had Covid, but I feel like school isn’t helping at all. Since day one of remote learning, we were told this wouldn’t be so hard, and they would lighten the workload… I’m still waiting to see that happen.” 

Desireé: “I know myself, and many others can relate to that. With that being said, how do you think teachers, administrators, or even the community could improve the quality of our circumstances right now? What needs to change?” 

Mariah: “I can’t speak for everyone in my grade but I think if they’re going to continue giving us this huge workload then they should lessen the hours we’re in school. Sitting in front of a screen for seven hours isn’t healthy. Certain periods can be taught on certain days with the support time period at the end of each day.”

Desireé: “Yes I agree one-thousand percent. My eyes feel like they’re bulging out of my head after five days of remote learning! I’m sure many would agree with you on that. Well, that concludes our interview, and I truly thank you for your time and responses!” 

I’m not used to this, and I don’t want to get used to it.

— Deborah Adekale

Here’s what Hillcrest Senior, Deborah Adekale had to chime in: 

Deborah: “For me, COVID has affected my performance in a negative way. In school I would always get my work done on time and I always held myself accountable. With COVID I am not motivated, and honestly I am not determined to do anything because I feel like whatever I do it won’t matter. As a student I feel restricted. I can’t go to the library or talk to my teacher one on one. COVID has taken away the social part of life from me. And I am a very social person. I need to be able to see and talk to people in person and if I can’t talk to my teachers in person or to the library or sit in a class and ask questions with my peers… then I can’t focus. I’m not used to this, and I don’t want to get used to it.”

Desireé: “I couldn’t relate more to the end. This is not something I, or any of our peers for that matter want to be the new “norm.” Because your response is so thorough, I won’t bombard you with more questions lol. Thank you so much for your feedback and time!” 

All students interviewed appeared to share a common perception of what’s going on in the world, and in school. They, myself, and many others seem to feel the same way about today’s circumstances, and it felt very validating to know other students shared the same grievances and frustrations as I.