The student news site of Hillcrest High School

The Hawk Eye

The Hawk Eye

The Hawk Eye

Music
A & E
Music
Kayla Morgan, Staff Writer • May 7, 2024
Image by Biljana Jovanovic from Pixabay
Opinion
My Thoughts On Social Media
James Goines, Staff Writer • May 7, 2024
A Senior’s Advice To Underclassmen
Showcase
A Senior’s Advice To Underclassmen
Natalia Perez, Staff Writer • May 6, 2024
Princess Peach Showtime! [My Take]
A & E
Princess Peach Showtime! [My Take]
Shaquan Berrien, Staff Writer • May 3, 2024
I couldnt survive Hillcrest without...
Features
I couldn't survive Hillcrest without...
Jakemah Calhoun, Senior Staff Writer • April 30, 2024

FCCLA Regionals & Beyond!

Ceriya+and+Munirat+have+only+30+minutes+to+set+up+their+display+table+at+the+FCCLA+Regionals+at+Tinley+Park+High+School+on+February+7th%2C+2024.+
Ceriya and Munirat have only 30 minutes to set up their display table at the FCCLA Regionals at Tinley Park High School on February 7th, 2024.

This school year, I decided to take the FCCLA intern class. I remember Mrs. Youngberg told me to pick her class as a junior. I heard very little about the class so I didn’t really know what to expect but based on what I heard, I knew it would be fun. FCCLA  stands for Family, Career and Community Leaders of America. FCCLA is basically a work study class and helps you develop skills for your lifetime. The class comes with a lot of different benefits and the best thing about the class to me would be the field trips.

Later in the first semester in December, she brought competition to our attention and we had to decide if we wanted to do it. Me and my partner Ceriya decided to do a Fashion Display. Our idea was a school spirit shop for our class of 2024. Since this is our last year, we dedicated the spirit shop to seniors. It took us approximately 4 weeks to complete everything. Mrs. Youngberg owns a hot pressing machine and taught us how to design our clothes so this would be our first time making our own design and putting it on clothes. We designed our clothes on the cricket app, decorated our clothes with a hot press machine, and decorated the background. It was a long process but we stuck it out. 

Students are busy preparing for FCCLA Regionals at Tinley Park High School on February 7th, 2024.

On February 7th, we went to Tinley Park High school for regionals. Some did fashion displays, charcuterie boards, and designed cakes.

Me and Ceriya were a bit nervous before we presented our project. The judges loved our fashion display and gave us a score of 90/100. We are going to State! Rashaun Pitts and Kayla Morgan also did a fashion display and had the highest score, 99/100.

Overall, it was such an amazing experience and everything was new for me. It was my first time doing something like this in high school. I’m excited to see what else we have in store for state. I think we will make some new pieces of clothes and also bring more accessories.

We go to State in April and I’m still in shock that we made it to State.

I would also like to thank Ms. Youngberg for making everything happen successfully.