The student news site of Hillcrest High School

The Hawk Eye

The Hawk Eye

The Hawk Eye

My Life in Science
Features
My Life in Science
Amira Roberts, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024
My NBA Finals Predictions
Opinion
My NBA Finals Predictions
James Goines, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024
Hillcrest High School Students and Their Art Pieces in the Art Museum
A & E
La'Mia Betts & Ceriya Fox, Senior Staff Writer • April 26, 2024
The Notebook
A & E
The Notebook
Munirat Alaka, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024
POV: Taking an Art Class at Hillcrest ft. Mrs. Adebesin Mason
Video
La'Mia Betts & Ceriya Fox, Senior Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

Spring Break 3 Seeds HBCU Tour

For this year’s spring break, I went to the annual 3 Seeds HBCU Tour. This spring break trip was adventurous, and we had unplanned fun. Although, I did get a bittersweet feeling about the trip, as it’s my last 3 Seeds tour because I am a senior. I’ve been in the program since freshman year, and it took some time to get to know everyone. I have created bonds with everyone in the program, and they will truly be missed. Each year, we make new friends and create so many memories that will follow us throughout the rest of high school.

This year, we went to Kentucky State University, Fisk University, Vanderbilt University, Alabama A&M, Wilberforce University, and Central State University. We had two cabins and one hotel. Out of all the schools we visited, the most welcoming school would have to be between Central State or Kentucky State. Those schools stuck out to me the most because they had good vibes and made me feel almost at home. We ate a lot on the trip as usual, and we got to experience different foods in different states. There were times where we had some difficulties or we were off our time frame but, nevertheless, we all enjoyed ourselves.

Some children would feel like waking up early in the morning for spring break is unnecessary, but 3 Seeds makes it worth your time. My favorite parts of the trip would have to be the talent show and writing notes to each other which was on the second night of the trip. I always look forward to the talent show because it’s expected to be fun, and I love giving and receiving notes to others. A week before spring break, I sprained my ankle which caused me to wear a big medical boot. There were certain times where I had to sit the games out and was treated differently from others, but I understand it was for a good cause. The boot didn’t slow me down, I still enjoyed myself with my fellow friends.

This HBCU tour was my last one for 3 Seeds, and I’m happy that I got the opportunity to go on a trip for two years straight with 3 Seeds. As I stated in my last article of the 3 Seeds mentoring group, I would advise all Hillcrest students to join Upward Bound.

You will be able to be opened to a lot of new opportunities, and you will be able to enjoy the annual HBCU tour which I enjoyed my junior and senior year of high school.