High School: Uncut

Kiaya Elzia, Staff Writer

Before you get into high school your parents may try to prepare you for high school. They may tell you long stories about their high school years and try to set you up with their friends’ kids who are in high school. What parents don’t know is that everyone’s high school experience is different, and what we don’t know is that our parents did go through the same core situations and experience as us. Our parents had relationship problems, struggled with grades, and trying to stay in the cool area of the social hierarchy. The theme and lesson is always the same, but the story is different; the details are what sets us apart from us and them. No matter who (parents, grandparents, older siblings, or that pamphlet your future counselor gives to you) tries to prepare you for high school, I believe from experience it’s more of a trial and fail.

“High school sucked. It was a universal truth, and whoever said these were supposed to be the best years of your life was probably drunk or delusional.” ― Kami Garcia

Honestly from my view there’s no wrong or right way to survive High School. Most people say joining a sport or club always makes it better, but does it really because it does another weight to your plate. Then again, it spreads your horizon, and it might add stairs for you on the social spectrum. Others say, stay on top of your grades get in and out like it’s a dangerous mission – kind of like a hostage situation. It’s hard to compare high school to anything because like I stated before it’s different for everyone. The closest things I can compare it to is real life or hell. Let me explain, real life is about 50/50 you can never know what’ll happen, so it can be good or bad, but it’s not unbearable. Now, a hell day in high school is one of those days you have to leave early, or depend on your headphones from making you put a classmate or two on fire. High School makes you question your sanity between the people, the school work, and any other activities or work load you have added to it. Actually I’m pretty sure my high school is Arkham Asylum, or a close second. If you think high school is like TV, then you’re sadly mistaken.

“High School. Society’s bright idea to put all their aggressive, naive youth into one environment to torment and emotionally scar each other for life.” ― Chris Colfer

Even though I’m portraying high school in a horrible light, it has its uplifting memories you’d want to last forever. And you make friends with tons of different type of people: some make you laugh, others make you cry – hopefully tears of joy, of course. But remember these are four years of YOUR life. You control your experience and what happens. I honestly believe it’s all on how you make your decisions and how you react to other people’s decisions. By the time you are a senior, you won’t be the same person you are today as a freshman. You’d have grown and gone through multiple lessons, trials, and tribulations.  In the end, I hope you do right by yourself and don’t fall into the depths of high school insanity.