The student news site of Hillcrest High School

The Hawk Eye

The Hawk Eye

The Hawk Eye

I couldnt survive Hillcrest without...
Features
I couldn't survive Hillcrest without...
Jakemah Calhoun, Senior Staff Writer • April 30, 2024
POV: Your Art Teacher Takes You to the Art Museum
A & E
La'Mia Betts & Ceriya Fox, Senior Staff Writer • April 30, 2024
Image by tikisada from Pixabay
News
Thailand on the Road to Legalizing Same-Sex Marriage
Alexis Dickens, Senior Staff Writer • April 30, 2024
My High School Experience
Opinion
My High School Experience
Serenity Johnson, Staff Writer • April 30, 2024
My Life in Science
Features
My Life in Science
Amira Roberts, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024

My E-Sports Experience

Hillcrest E-Sports team winning 1st place at the BHSD228 Esports Invitational

Introduction

In my time here at Hillcrest High School, there weren’t many extracurricular activities I was really interested in. So throughout my entire high school experience, I was just never involved. Until one day in sophomore year (I can’t remember the exact date), I was walking upstairs to head to my next class, and that’s when I saw a sign for E-Sports tryouts. I loved playing games and my parents wanted me to get out of the house more, so I said, “Sure, why not?”

1-1: First Steps

I’ve been gaming ever since the beginning. I’ve played many different games over the years. Whether it was Nintendo, Sega, Xbox, PlayStation, and more. But I’ve always played games for the fun of it, this would be my very first time playing games competitively, especially for a school. So naturally, I was pretty nervous. At the time, it was a brand new club at the school, so there wasn’t a particular place we could try out at, so we just played in Coach Murray’s classroom. At the time there were only two options, Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (What I play right now). Before I started playing, I was very, very nervous. I was worried that I came here for nothing, but little did I know, I ended up doing WAY better than I thought and made the team. 

1-2: Competition

Hillcrest Smash team competing at the Roosevelt University Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Tournament.

Some time after tryouts were finished, we were already beginning to compete online against other Esports teams from other schools around our area. Majority of online matches we’ve had, we’ve won with no problems! (Until we had internet issues..) Before I knew it, we were already competing in person at our first tournament at Evergreen Park High School. Despite how many other schools there were and me still not that competitive yet, I was ready to win. We didn’t win unfortunately but we did make it to the grand finals! Pretty good for a first tournament, if I do say so myself. (Though we still perform better in the online matches) But we’ve won other tournaments like Conference and District Invitationals. That’s actually where Coach Murray gave me my title as “The #1 Mario Kart Player in the District”.

1-3: Experience Overall

My experience in Esports thus far has been really fun. Through Esports I made new friends, learned to communicate with others better, had lots of fun, and represented the school. Joking around during practices and during tournaments, the comedic bus rides to and from, all of them are such memorable moments. Esports was an amazing experience, and I’d recommend it to all gamers out there looking to be more involved and to show more school spirit. Because of my time on the Hillcrest Esports team, when I go to college, I want to go to college and continue to play competitively in Esports and further my skills. I have to thank Coach Murray for making this experience so memorable. The school I’m going to doesn’t have a Mario Kart team currently, I might see if I can start my own.