The student news site of Hillcrest High School

The Hawk Eye

The Hawk Eye

The Hawk Eye

Music
A & E
Music
Kayla Morgan, Staff Writer • May 7, 2024
Image by Biljana Jovanovic from Pixabay
Opinion
My Thoughts On Social Media
James Goines, Staff Writer • May 7, 2024
A Senior’s Advice To Underclassmen
Showcase
A Senior’s Advice To Underclassmen
Natalia Perez, Staff Writer • May 6, 2024
Princess Peach Showtime! [My Take]
A & E
Princess Peach Showtime! [My Take]
Shaquan Berrien, Staff Writer • May 3, 2024
I couldnt survive Hillcrest without...
Features
I couldn't survive Hillcrest without...
Jakemah Calhoun, Senior Staff Writer • April 30, 2024

A Senior’s Advice To Underclassmen

High School is nothing like the movies, and to one that can be a great thing and to others a big disappointment. There is no separation between the jocks and the band kids, and no one will ever break out into song and dance. However, high school is where we teenagers begin to explore our identities, learn to be good friends, for some partners, and last but not least, begin our education. Everyone attending Hillcrest has had a different experience, everyone in my classroom has had a different experience, as we are all affected by problems inside and outside the classroom. This is how I would introduce high school to a younger student (no sugarcoating):

• Friends are a big part of high school, and you tend to see other underclassman with huge groups of friends, but most of the time, the friend groups fall apart. That is simply a part of life and it is something you will learn to accept. Walk away with love in your heart for an old friend rather than holding a grudge for the way things ended. Throughout your 4 years in high school, you will grow, which means you will grow apart from certain people. That is completely okay, people change. 
  • High school love. Don’t force it. 
  • Focus on your grades! Especially if you want to further your education after high school. You begin building your GPA as a freshman, so if you slack freshman and sophomore year, you are cheating yourself.
  • You do not need to be 100% certain on what you would like to do after high school until you are closer to your senior year. You have time! Some people do not even know what they want to study when they are in university, while you should begin to develop an idea by your upperclassmen years in high school, it is okay to not know for certain. So when people ask you, they WILL ask you, “what’s your plan after high school?” You should feel no shame if that answer is, “I’m not sure yet.”
  • Do not slack your senior year. It is not worth losing scholarships or admissions. But, SENIORITIS IS REAL!
  • Junior year is not as hard as people make it out to be. Truly the only things you have to worry about Junior year is your SAT and studying for your AP tests. Senior year definitely beats Junior year by a significant amount. You have to worry about applying to colleges, scholarships, getting community service hours, keeping your grades up, AP tests, and more than likely holding a job.
  • Build connections with your teachers! Not only will this make asking questions easier, but class is more enjoyable and engaging. It is crazy how much you can learn from having a one on one conversation with a teacher, whether that be on the subject at hand, or a life lesson you have ought to learn.
  • Don’t feel rushed to get a job. While some of us may be money crazy, you are going to work your entire life, enjoy your youth. If you do choose to get a job, make sure you have a work, life, school balance. Missing an important life event is not worth missing over a 6 hour shift at your minimum wage job. Sorry not sorry. Also, find a job that will benefit you in the long run if possible. I, for example, am planning to pursue a career in nursing, so I got my CNA license, and now I’m already working in the healthcare field.
  • Take care of yourself, mentally and physically. Being a student is exhausting, make sure you take time out of your day to take a breath.
  • The drama is not worth it. 

While these are the lessons I have learned in my 4 years at Hillcrest, like mentioned before, we will all have different experiences. However, these are some of the lessons that a majority of us will learn during our time at Hillcrest.

Take it as advice or completely let it fly over your head, by your Senior year, you will learn your share of lessons.