Infinite Scholars Presents: Scholarship Fair at U.I.C.

Andres Lira, Staff Writer

The Infinite Scholars Organization, had held a scholarship fair at the U.I.C. Pavilion on September 21, 2017 from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm.  The organization required that students who were attending to have three recommendation letters and an essay with a requirement of 500 words, answering the question, “Why I want to go to college?” Mrs. Vela, who works in the college and career center, told the students that this was a good way to apply for scholarships and that some colleges may be giving out scholarships on the spot. On their website infinitescholar.org, they say that they are partnered with over 300 colleges, in which nearly 50 of them are in attendance with their fair. The students at Hillcrest High School, was very excited to be able to get the chance to earn a scholarship for college, in which they would be attending for the 2018-19 school year.

Day of Fair

The students were to dress professional and be very organized for the day of the fair. The bus ride from Hillcrest to the U.I.C. Pavilion was roughly about a 40 minute drive. The bus departed from Hillcrest at 8:30 am. On the bus, the students were getting ready to show off how academically intelligent they are, by staying organized and by rereading their essays to make sure they were good enough for the organization. When the students arrived, they looked out the bus window and saw students from other schools, who mostly had formal school uniforms. The wait to get into the Pavilion was about 30 minutes and during this time, students were practicing how to give a formal handshake and giving adequate eye contact. Once the students were allowed to go inside the Pavilion, each student was given an Infinite Scholars bag with a brochure of what the organization is about and of all schools that they are partnered with, plus a pen.

Inside the Pavilion

Nailah Brown
Lilyanna Hinkle (’18)

The Organization announced that they would be giving away scholarships at noon, but in the meantime, the students should connect with the schools that were in attendance. Some of the colleges were giving out free applications to the students, also they had interest cards for the students, if they wanted more information. A good percentage of students in attendance connected with schools and learned many things on how that school can help them with their future education.

Throughout the four hours of the event, not one scholarship was given away to any student. Although the students were disappointed that they wasn’t going to be able to earn a scholarship, they connected with schools that they weren’t even going to apply to.

Post-event

Hillcrest students went to lunch on the U.I.C. campus and experienced how college life really is. While on lunch, the students ran into a Hillcrest alumni, who graduated in the 2016-17 school year, Jesus Nieto. He told the students that college life is very hard to manage, especially if you are planning to be in school athletics or clubs. He also said that life at U.I.C. is really good and that he made a good decision in choosing that school. He couldn’t talk for too long because he was getting food before class. The students enjoyed the lunches that U.I.C. provides for the students, but they were also curious on how their meal plans work. Most of the students there were busy doing work, so Hillcrest students, couldn’t actually ask them about how the school works. The students along with Mrs. Vela, decided to try and find the admissions office before departing, unfortunately there was no luck because the office was on the opposite side of the campus.

Departure

While Hillcrest students were waiting for the bus to arrive at the designated location to depart, they looked at the map for the campus and realized almost every building was in walking distance. To some students, this satisfied them and they decided to apply for the school. While others, decided that the school wasn’t for them, and wanted to look at other options. On the bus ride back to the school, some students were getting ready to leave, to go home, while others were preparing for the powder-puff game that was being held during 8th period.