Rising Seniors: Beginning of the End

Devin Preston, Staff Writer

Dear Future Seniors,

As your final year of high school approaches you, the only thing you can think about is time running out and graduation. Isn’t it crazy to think that in months it’ll be your last first day of high school? The road of tribulations, challenges and memories will all be summed up in one. The transition from junior year to senior year is a big one. This is the beginning of the end of your high school career.

During the summer leading into senior year have fun, but think about college too. The college search is stressful, but it doesn’t have to be that stressful. Begin by doing broad research based on where you would like to be a resident and the school’s cost of attendance. Next, being certain on your academic major, spend a little time exploring different colleges and universities that specialize in the programs they offer. Go on college visits; not only do they make great road-trips and mini vacations, but they usually give you free stuff too. Write down what you liked and didn’t like about the school and giving a rating of one to ten. This will make it easy to compare all the different schools once the time comes. Most college applications require teacher recommendation letters, so ask a few of your favorite teachers to write one for you over the summer. It is important to make the best connections with who you will ask later. Be sure to ask them at least a month prior of the deadline. Come fall, you’ll be thanking yourself while everyone else is having a midlife crisis over college applications.

If you don’t already, get a job. Whether it’s at McDonald’s, the local grocery store, or the car wash, the paycheck will be nice. In fact, a recommendation from a McDonalds employer looks great, as it is the second highest fast food chain behind Subway. How else are you supposed to afford weekly outings with your friends and daily school lunch? Chances are you won’t, but at least attempt to save some money. College is still a year away; however, a couple hundred in your savings won’t hurt.

The sooner you get your senior priorities done, the better. Portraits, senior trips, prom, graduation, and even homecoming may be a little costly. A part-time job saves you a bit of money, avoiding a time crunch, and your parents won’t nag you about much, so seize the day and check things off your checklist as soon as possible. Find out what you are wearing, who your going with, and how much everything will cost. It will be all worth it in the end. Prioritizing is always much better than procrastinating.

Most importantly, hang out with your friends; however, chose the right friends first. See who you share hobbies and similarities with, as well as who laughs at the same things you do. Movie theaters will always be there, so go to the party, go out to eat with your circle, go to the bonfire, go to the beach, go to the sleepover, go to the main events. Be spontaneous and be young. Make sure to take photos, both silly and twitter-worthy, of you and your friends. You’ll be glad you did.

Senior year is without a doubt the most adventurous and best year of high school. Remember to do your best at taking each moment as a win or lesson. If your best is not demonstrated for the best results, you have learned a valuable lesson for next time. You do not lose, because next time you come much stronger. Here are some quick last pointers: participate in spirit weeks, you are not too cool for school dances, don’t create a countdown to graduation or college until the second semester, and senioritis is very real. Don’t let it bring you down. Cheers to a great senior year!

Sincerely,
Devin Preston