Thinking about Early Graduation?

Thinking about Early Graduation?

Brittney Jennings, Guest Columnist

The high school graduation rate in the U.S. reached an all-time high of 83 percent in the 2014-2015 school year. Whether you are trying to get a head start on college or you have the required amount of credits and just want to get out of school, graduating early might be your best bet.

Some people say that early grads miss out on all the things normal seniors do that second half of the year, but here at Hillcrest you may miss out on some of the activities, but not the majors ones like Prom and the big senior trip.

Becoming an early graduate is a great way to save money by getting ahead in your courses for college. “It’s important, I think, to have something to do if you are going to graduate early. If it’s that you’re going to take classes at another school in which those credits are going to transfer to college, that’s fine,” says Assistant Principle Dr. Young. All of your required general education classes can be taken at community colleges like South Suburban for nowhere near the price of some 4-year colleges. Hillcrest even has connections with South Suburban that could get you a fee waiver for a class. The great thing is, not only will the class be free but also if you get an “A” or a “B” in the course you will get another one for free. You could save thousands of dollars in tuition money. This is the path many early grads this year are considering or have already decided on taking.

In addition to that, for all you AP students who have taken the AP tests or plan on taking them, if you get a score of a three or higher, you’ll save even more money. When it all adds up you could be starting your first year of college as a sophomore. Early Grad Alasha Ruffshores said that she chose to graduate early, so she could get a head start on her life by starting college classes in spring semester.

It’s not as hard as it sounds, sure it’ll be a little difficult, and you will have to put in the work and money, but the outcome will be so rewarding. As a matter of fact, the 2016-2017 school year has seen the most early graduates in the past years according to Counselor Lindsay Lopez.

If you are thinking of heading to college after your first semester of senior year, the first thing you need to do is check with your guidance counselor and see if you are on track to do so. You have to find out what is required of you before you decide to graduate early, and fulfill those requirements. Maintain your grades, because if you slip up that last semester you will be sitting in school for that last semester. Most importantly have fun your final semester. It may get stressful and difficult but the satisfaction you’ll get when December comes around will make you forget all about it.