Hillcrest Teacher’s Artwork Chosen in NAEA Juried Selection

The National Art Education Association (NAEA) is showcasing artwork from art educators across the country in a juried exhibition at the association’s headquarters in Alexandria through April 15, 2018. Included in the exhibition is a piece by Hillcrest Fine Arts Teacher Jamilah Adebesin Mason.   

Each of NAEA’s more than 18,000 members was invited to submit artwork to be juried for possible inclusion. Of 422 submissions, 65 pieces were chosen for the exhibition, representing 29 states and two countries.

Ms. Adebesin Mason’s selection, a photograph titled Soul of the Majesty: Vision, will be displayed at the NAEA headquarters and can be seen in their digital gallery here: https://www.arteducators.org/opportunities/articles/345-2017-naea-member-exhibition?slide=65#gallery-36.

Ms. Adebesin Mason said of her submission, “Soul of the Majesty: Vision is a self portrait from my photo series documenting my mental state and emotional transformation at the time of my pregnancy.  I gave birth to my twin daughters the week after the photo shoot was completed. I try to make a habit of participating in professional art exhibitions in order to continue practicing my craft and showcasing real world examples for my students.”

Founded in 1947, NAEA is the leading professional membership organization exclusively for visual arts educators. Members include elementary, middle, and high school visual arts educators; college and university professors; university students preparing to be art educators; researchers and scholars; teaching artists; administrators and supervisors; and art museum educators—as well as more than 54,000 students who are members of the National Art Honor Society.

“What better way to demonstrate the many ways that art shapes human potential than by showcasing work created by art educators from all across the country” said NAEA President Kim Huyler Defibaugh.“Art educators play a vital role in developing the ability of students to envision possibilities, express ideas, create solutions and think critically—all important skills for the 21st century.”

Hillcrest is proud to acknowledge Ms. Adebsein Mason’s accomplishments as a positive representative of our school community.