Les étudiants de Hillcrest explorent l’art et la cuisine française

On February 25, 2018, Hillcrest French 2 and French 3 students took a field trip to the Art Institute of Chicago to tour the extensive Impressionism pieces housed there.

Impressionism is a style or movement in painting originating in France in the 1860’s, characterized by a concern with depicting the visual impression of the moment, especially in terms of the shifting effect of light and color.  French 2, French 2 Honors and French 3 Honors students have been identifying the subjects depicted in these works of art, describing the colors, people and things that they see in French orally and in writing and identifying Impressionist and Post-Impressionist artists such as Monet, Degas and Van Gogh.

At the Art Institute, students were able to view original works and learn even more about such pieces as Monet’s “Haystacks” and Degas’ “The Millinery Shop” while engaging in thoughtful conversations about the works of art with the very knowledgeable and enthusiastic docents assigned to their group.

After their tour of the Art Institute, the group went to the French Market at the Ogilvie Train Station in downtown Chicago to enjoy not only French favorites like crêpes and macroons, but also a variety of international food choices within this authentic French market.

It was a fully French, educational and fun-filled day for the Hillcrest French students.  Classes in French levels 1-3 are offered at Hillcrest High School with an option of French 4 and Advanced Placement French available within the district.

Future and current students are encouraged to sign up for French classes with to experience this Joie de Vivre!

For more information about Hillcrest’s French classes or programs, please contact French Teacher Erin Johnson [email protected].